Our client is a global advisory firm working with influential organizations and individuals on the communications and public policy challenges that define their reputations.
Their clients are leaders in their field: groundbreaking technology companies and their founders; global businesses and their CEOs; prominent individuals and renowned institutions. Technology and innovation are at the heart of their business and problem-solving approach, and they root their strategies in data insights and research on the audiences that matter, messages that work, and communications channels that deliver.
Our client is looking for a fantastic PR Account Manager level professional with 4-7 years of communications experience in technology PR to join their US team to work with some of the biggest and most influential companies in the world on a range of reputation and policy issues.
Consultants (AMs) are the driving force behind their work. They are trusted advisors who are able to substantially shift the reputation of their clients, in line with agreed strategy and priorities. They drive work across the whole team in a way that makes the most of everyone’s skills and experience, supporting less experienced colleagues to develop and deputizing for Directors and Partners when required.
What the role involves
Developing and implementing reputation strategy:
- Defining the scope of research required to inform the client’s reputation strategy and working with the client team lead to set the strategy and priorities.
- Drawing on a deep knowledge of audiences and channels to identify how best to position clients and achieve their communications goals.
- Creating integrated communications plans to guide the execution of the agreed strategy.
- Preparing high quality content and materials required to deliver key moments including interviews, articles, speeches and events.
Building and applying deep expertise about clients and the subjects they care about:
- Overseeing the research work of analysts and extracting insights that inform their advice to clients.
- Delivering the more complex components of the research process e.g. stakeholder interviews.
- Reading widely about the issues clients are facing and using this context to inform their advice to clients.
- Understanding the business model of commercial clients and applying this to improve the quality of their advice.
Advising a small number of clients (typically three to four) and providing valuable recommendations and insights.
- Confidently providing counsel to clients across a range of issues as they arise.
- Tailoring the style and content of advice to meet the needs and expectations of individual clients.
- Having the courage to give the right advice, even if it’s not what the client wants to hear, and finding a solution that works for them.
Managing teams to deliver exceptional work, drawing on the full expertise of the firm.
- Developing the project plan for client teams and ensuring work is delivered on time and to a high quality.
- Identifying opportunities to bring in experts from across the firm and from their external network to ensure the client benefits from the full range of their experience.
- Giving (and receiving) regular feedback to people at all levels in the firm.
- Managing the work of less experienced members of your client teams and assisting with their professional development through coaching and mentoring.
Contributing to the future of the business beyond the boundaries of client work.
- Line managing outside client teams: setting development goals that enable them to perform at their best and stretch into opportunities for development.
- Using personal interests and/or former experience to help develop the team’s approach on a range of potential subjects such as new business, wellbeing or diversity and inclusion.
What we’re looking for
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A strategic approach to reputation, informed by a strong understanding of the audiences and channels that make up the communications landscape.
- The ability to develop relationships with clients and offer them strategic counsel and insight.
- An appreciation of, and interest in, the use of data-driven insights, from primary research and digital tools, to inform their advice to clients.
- Intellectual curiosity to explore new subjects and desire to share that knowledge with the team.
- Experience working with or for organisations which have a significant US presence.
- Experience developing media strategies and interacting with journalists.
- Experience of project management, including planning and delivering work against agreed goals, timetable and budget.
- Experience managing a team and delegating both upwards and downwards in a way that makes the most of everyone’s skills and experience.
- A highly motivated team member who values collaboration and is interested in coaching and building capability across the team.
- Commitment to contributing to a supportive and inclusive culture.
- A desire to seek out feedback in order to learn and develop.
- At least 4 years of professional experience in a communications or public relations role.
- Fluent command of English.