Community Relations Manager
Our client is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, they serve customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, they have led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Our client is seeking a Community Relations Manager to join their team at their Walnut Creek location, where they have a team of 40 to 50 people. The ideal candidate must be local to the area and be able to work full-time in the office, with the possibility of joining the agile work function and working from home twice a week after 6-9 months of successful performance.
The Community Relations Manager will play a crucial role as the face of the company and must have strong media and social media relations skills. The ideal candidate should:
- Have strong media relations skills and understand how the media works, with a journalism or news background being a huge plus.
- Have experience in public affairs or working with the government legislature to pass laws and communicate effectively about it.
- Have excellent social media skills and experience working with multiple platforms.
- Be able to deliver messages both verbally and in writing, and be comfortable as a spokesperson for the company.
- Be quick-thinking and confident in their ability to communicate accurately and sensitively.
- Ideally have experience in the oil and gas or energy PR industry or a related field.
- Be a solo contributor for a while, with the opportunity to build a team in the future.
The Community Relations Manager will work closely with the legal and strategic origination teams, and must be confident in working with executives to communicate and deliver what is needed. They will be expected to help change policy and communicate with the right people.
The company values a positive, collaborative and open-door culture, where everyone is respected and valued from the admin to the CEO. The company has low turnover and staff who have been with the company for 10-20 years. They look for people who are passionate about PR and want to stay for the long haul, with stability in their resume being important.